things i LOVE: shopping, eating, cooking, drinking, dancing alone to good music, paper, design, family, good friends and my dog--the rockstar

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Yuck.

Yesterday I had the great privilege of serving Jury Duty for my great county of Dallas. It was my first call of duty that I actually had to fulfill because before I have been under 18, a full-time college student, not living in Dallas County and probably so many more of the awesome exemptions that are allowed. I arrived a little early, dressing as conservatively as possible (as suggested by my mom and stepdad) as an attempt to not be chosen. Some friends of mine have recently served and most of them advised that I bring a book or magazine and definitely the good 'ol iPhone - no clue what I would have done without it yesterday. After a good hour and a half of sitting in the "Central Jury" room with a thousand other unlucky citizens, they sent us to our prospective court rooms (thrilling, I know). We then wait for a good hour or so until they call us in one by one and squish us together in the wooden benches like sardines, far too close for comfort, especially next to two strangers -- yuck. As this story could go on a while, I was there until 4:00 PM to say the least, but I will not torture you much more. The lawyers informed us this was a drug case and proceeded to question us, then gave us an hour and a half lunch break (seriously? the court room cafeteria doesn't take that long...) and then questioned us some more. Finally around 3:30 PM they called us back into the room and announced the dozen lucky winners who would get to serve on the Jury. Now I have to admit, I was relieved to go home and do laundry for the evening and not worry about the drug dealer anymore but I also must admit that I really want to know how this case turns out... Stay tuned.



And there you have it.. my day of Jury Duty in a nutshell. I know you didn't ask for it but you got it anyways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment